#59: Deno turns 5 🎉, v1.34, Node.js built-ins on Deno Deploy, and more
Summer is right around the corner, which means our days are heating up, just like our work at Deno. So we got a chunky update that we're excited to share with you all!
Deno celebrating its 5th birthday!
Deno Updates and Resources 🤯
Deno v1.34 — The Deno Team — The featured update here is
deno compile now supports
npm specifiers. Check out the blog post for some fun examples.
Node.js built-ins on Deno Deploy — Luca Casonato — Now you can use Node.js built-in modules like
node:http on Deno Deploy, allowing you to run existing Node.js apps at the edge. Wondering when
npm: will finally land on Deploy? Soon.
Deno Deploy's new changelog — The Deno Team — We just launched an easily consumable feed of Deno Deploy updates!
💾 Deno KV might be a game changer (YouTube) — Awesome Code Club — An awesome overview of Deno KV, going over the main concepts such as ACID, transactions, and more.
💾 Deno KV Consistency: Eventual vs. Strong? — The Deno Team — This playground demo demonstrates the differences between
strong consistency read modes
How to guides 📝
Build your own ChatGPT-style doc search with Fresh, OpenAI, and Supabase — Thor Schaeff — A simple tutorial on how to setup ChatGPT-style doc search.
Expanding ChatGPT Code Interpreter with Python packages, Deno and Lua — Simon Willison — A cool walkthrough on having ChatGPT Code Interpreter write Deno code.
Build a Weather app with Deno and Fresh 🍋 (YouTube) — Learn by Doing — This 10 minute video goes over building a simple, yet thorough weather app using the Weather API
Code and Tools 🛠
- seeker — this module checks for circular dependencies
- codepoint_iterator — a utility library for converting an iterable of UTF-8 filled Uint8Array's into Unicode code points
- garph — a fullstack GraphQL Framework for TypeScript
- netsaur v0.2.6 — a new release for this machine learning module
- manshin — an infrastructure-as-code (IaC) engine that focuses on managing resources and providers
- workflowy — a Deno/Node client library for Workflowy
- 💾 pentagon — Prisma like ORM built on top of Deno KV
- esm — now you can run
deno run -A https://esm.sh/server
- 💾 otana — Otama is an abstraction on Deno KV which still exposes a simple KV API but with a lot of syntactic sugar to make development easier
- vectorizer — a text vectorizer in TypeScript based on scikit-learn's
- 💾 kvdex — a database wrapper for Deno's KV store with simple and type-safe storing/retrieving of data
Built with Deno 🦕
- Check out this server-side Tetris implementation built with Deno and Deno KV. Source here.
- Unlock dev productivity on your team by letting this LLM give detailed code reviews.
- Check out how Windmill.dev (YC S22) uses Deno in production.
And that's it for this issue! If you think you know someone who would benefit from it, please forward it to them.