#57: Deno v1.32, SaaSKit, and more
There's been a lot of awesome community resources. If you've written about Deno, created a tool/module/app and want to be featured in this newsletter, hit reply here or drop it in our Discord's #showcase channel!
Without further ado —
Articles and Resources
Deno 1.32 — Deno Authors — 1.32 brings smoother Node.js compatibility and other improvements.
Why We Added package.json Support to Deno — Ryan Dahl — Clarifying Deno's mission to simplify and accelerate, and how adding package.json is a step in that direction.
You Don't Need a Build Step — Andy Jiang — A brief overview into the build step, why it exists, and why we might not need it going forward.
Using the database SQLite with Deno — Craig Doremus — This guide will show you how to perform CRUD operations in Deno with sqlite3 and deno-sqlite.
How to proxy deno deploy through cloudflare — Reda Bacha — A thorough guide on how to protect your Deno Deploy with Cloudflare.
Setting up WebStorm for Deno - A Guide — Anden Acitelli — A list of tricks and best practices to using Deno with WebStorm.
Making SQLite extensions npm install'able for Node.js, and on deno.land/x for Deno — Alex Garcia — A guide on how to use SQLite extensions with Deno and how they work.
Create CLIs For 2023 Using Deno — Didier Amyot — More CLI developers are choosing Deno for building their next CLI tool. Here's a thoughtful guide on writing CLI in 2023 with Deno.
Intro to Fresh plugins — Javier Ríos — A good resource for understanding how plugins in Fresh work.
Deno Fresh Deep Dive: Part 1 and Part II — Geoff Flarity — A series of looking under the Fresh hood. Part I looks at the Manifest file and what it does, while Part II discusses Server Context and its purpose.
Build an API with Express, Deno, and TypeScript: Part I and Part II — Tim Post — This series walks you through building a simple API using Express, as well as testing, benchmarking, and deployment.
Code and Tools
- Fresh + Stripe example — Curious on how to integrate Stripe with Fresh? Check out this example.
- drgn — A full-stack CLI library for deploying and managing enterprise-grade command line applications.
- OpenAI — A feature complete Deno wrapper for the OpenAI API.
- Grove — A hybrid microservice framework for Deno.
- pup — Universal process manager built in Deno
- eas-deno — A TypeScript SDK that authenticates with the main EAS API through tokenization. Giving you the performance of Rust without having to learn FFI in Rust.
- deno-embedder — Dev tools for embedding static files into Deno as code.
- terminal_images — 3.1.0 update for this module that helps display images in the terminal
- squishy_cookies — A helper module that makes it easy to sign and verify cookies
- inspire — Get an inspiring quote in your terminal.
- bundlee — Bundle static assets to a single JSON-file.
- monke — Color quantization and dithering in TypeScript.
Products and APIs
Deno SaaSKit — An open-sourced modern SaaS template built on Fresh. It includes billing, auth, session management, and more. Try it out and give us feedback!
Cicada Build — Currently in private beta, Cicada allows you to write your CI pipelines with the power of TypeScript and run them locally or in the cloud.
Valtown — Easily share JS/TS functions. Now powered by Deno!
mock - This simple website lets you create mock API calls for testing.
co-authored-by - A micro-API that, when given GitHub handle, returns text "Co-authored-by: XYZ email@example.com". Check it out: https://co-authored-by.deno.dev/lambtron
Plark — An AI-powered website building using Deno.
Odds and Ends
- Don't forget to get your tickets to NodeCongress, where Ryan will deliver the keynote talk!
- Check out this AI-game built with Deno where a random historical figure chats with you and you have to figure out who it is!
- We've been adding tutorials and shorts to our YouTube — don't miss an update by subscribing!
And that's all for this issue!
Know someone who might find this useful? Please forward this to them.