#56: Deno v1.31, a look back at 2022, and more
Happy 2023! It has been a few weeks since the last Deno News, so this one might be a bit longer than previous issues!
Articles and Resources
Deno 1.31: package.json support — The Deno Authors — You read that correctly. Deno 1.31 will auto-discover package.json, install dependencies, and even run
deno task. More in the blog post.
Deno in 2022: npm, Edge Functions, Series A, Fresh, and more — The Deno Authors — A recap of an exceptional 2022 for Deno, and a tease of what's to come in 2023.
Build a Deno Project in CodeSandbox — CodeSandbox — CodeSandbox, a cloud development platform, introduced Docker support, which means you can now use Deno. Check it out!
Replacing an Express API with @nrwl/deno (video) — Nx — The Nx team livestreams replacing an express API with Deno and deploys it with Deno Deploy.
The Future (and the Past) of the Web is Server Side Rendering — Andy Jiang — A brief history about server-side rendering and why it's the right approach for modern web development.
Build a Simple Image Resizing API in less than 100 LOC — Andy Jiang — A short tutorial on building a simple image resizing API with Deno and Deno Deploy. Check out the video walkthrough here.
fetch, reading a filepath as a command line argument, and supporting TypeScript and TSX. Watch the video walkthrough here.
Deploying a Fresh app from your Readme (video) — Ruben Restrepo — Using a Runme VSCode extension, Ruben shows how to deploy a Deno fresh application directly from your README.
How to build a GraphQL Server with Deno — Andy Jiang — Another short how-to on setting up a simple GraphQL server.
WTF is FFI? (video) — Andy Jiang & Aapo Alasuutari — Interested in calling libraries and functions from languages like C/C++, Rust, etc.? Check out this new YouTube series where Andy and Aapo dive into examples on using Deno's FFI to do some cool stuff.
Code and Tools
- earthstar - a small, resilient, distributed storage protocol designed for simplicity and versatility
- p5-wasm - a p5js like library for wasm with a Deno runtime using dwm and skia canvas.
- jsontointerface — this nifty tool will accept a JSON string and spit out the TypeScript interface.
- plug v1 - With v1.0.0, this drop in extension helps with using remote dynamic libraries in Deno.
- parsedown - A WAsm module for parsing Markdown to HTML that also generates helpful meta stats.
- tiny_logger - A simple console/file logger for Deno.
- Salta - A native, fast, and up-to-date way of using Dart Sass in Deno.
- udibo_react_app - A React Framework for Deno that makes it easy to create highly interactive apps that have server side rendering with file based routing for both your UI and API.
- deno shell completions for nu - shell completions for Deno in nu shell
- endofunctor - A fast router in Deno with a heap of less than 1% (benchmarks in the readme).
- gpt - A Deno port of BPE Encoder Decoder for GPT-2 / GPT-3
- darkflare - A directory-based router and all-in-one framework for Cloudflare Workers that generates a JS bundle that can be deployed to Cloudflare.
- LiveLog - A remote console.log service to help debug Deno Desktop apps.
Odds and Ends
- Ryan Dahl will be giving a keynote talk at NodeCongress about Deno 2.0 on April 14. You don't wanna miss it!
- We started holding Office Hours in our Discord and YouTube that happen every second and fourth Friday, at 9am PT. Come hang out and ask the team any of your questions! If you can't make it, each session will be recorded and uploaded to our YouTube.
And that's all for this issue!
Know someone who might find this useful? Please forward this to them.